Hilltop Montessori School, founded in 1972, is perched on a 43 acre hill in Brattleboro, VT in a custom built (2009) facility that houses a Toddler Room (18-36 months), two bright, sunny Children’s House (3-6 years) classrooms, a Lower Elementary (6-9 years), an Upper Elementary (9-12 years), as well as a fully equipped kitchen area, and art room. The Middle School (12-14 years) enjoys its own house with comparable facilities. There is integrated computer use at the Upper Elementary and Middle School levels, woods and trails for hiking and cross country skiing, gardens, a greenhouse and a pond. An Arts Barn, built in 2013, includes an all-purpose room, staff/event kitchen, gymnasium, expanded music facilities, and a theater. The beautiful facilities are fully paid for, and the school is fortunate to have a sizable endowment and an Indexed Tuition program that supports economic diversity among the student families. Hilltop Montessori School implements an authentic Montessori curriculum at all levels, and has been working to incorporate an anti-bias curriculum along with a focus on addressing climate change.
130 students / 32 faculty-staff / American Montessori Society Accredited
If you would like to send your resume and letter of interest for future employment please send an email to Tamara Mount at firstname.lastname@example.org.
BUSINESS MANAGER – position available immediately
The Business Manager reports to and works as a strategic partner to the Head of School and is a member of the Administrative Team. The Business Manager is on the Finance Committee and Investment Committee of the Board of Trustees. The Business Manager provides leadership and management of the School’s finances and is responsible for the supervision, coordination, and administration of all aspects of the Business Office, Plant and Facilities expenses, Human Resources, and financial policy management. In partnership with the Head of School, the Business Manager maintains relationships with all families, vendors, banks, professional accountants, and insurance companies. The right person will have the ability, willingness, and desire to work collaboratively with people from diverse backgrounds in a community made up of a wide range of people including non-binary, gender expressive, BIPOC, and people from non-dominant cultural backgrounds.
Primary Duties and Responsibilites:
Support the Head of School and the Board of Trustees in the development of school policies and procedures that support the fiscal and personnel components of managing the school and safeguard the fiscal well-being of the school and its employees. The Business Manager is responsible for coordinating, tracking, budgeting, and reporting all financial aspects of the school operations, including to:
- Develop and manage, with the Head of School and Finance Committee, the annual operating budget (and forecasts); in addition to budgets related to special projects and/or capital campaigns;
- Prepare monthly financial reports for the Finance Committee which reflect the financial position of the school in comparison with the approved budget and/or revised forecast; and which reconcile bank accounts and include a balance sheet for the Finance Committee on a monthly basis;
- Manage and direct all receivables and payables: ensuring collection of all receivables, coordinating with others on the administrative team, when necessary;
- Manage and direct all payroll functions;
- Prepare projections and periodic analyses as requested by the Head of School and Board;
- Meet, as requested, with Board of Trustees, Finance Committee, and Investment Committee;
- Oversee the cash management, administration, and reporting of the funds and investments of the school to the Finance Committee, Investment Committee, and donors;
- Oversee the preparation of financial records for annual independent audit (and/or tax preparation) and assist the audit team in preparation of form 990 and other returns, including the form 5500;
- Serve as a member of the Indexed Tuition Committee, working with the Head of School and the Director of Admissions, to determine and administer financial assistance awards;
- Responsible for Human Resources functions, including writing, implementing and maintaining appropriate personnel policies and benefits (overseeing preparation of payroll and fachealth insurance and retirement programs). Ensure all programs are in compliance with federal and state laws and regulations, and are communicated appropriately to employees;
- Maintain relationship with vendors such as suppliers of consumables, landscaper, plow company, etc;
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills, Experience and Qualities:
- Proven administrative experience in bringing high levels of customer service to all interactions with families, staff, and vendors;
- Proven working knowledge of financial accounting practices including maintaining customer accounts, reconciling bank and credit card statements, generating invoices and statements, and monitoring investment;
- Experience with Excel, QuickBooks, and other financial software;
- BA or MBA in Business Administration;
- A minimum of two years’ experience in a comparable position;
- Strong, collaborative, and high-energy leader;
- Organized, with highly effective oral and written communication skills, and customer service orientation;
- Commitment and ability to partner with the Head of School on a variety of matters that involve a high level of generative thinking, confidentiality, and trust;
- Ability to work closely with the Head of School, Finance Committee, and Board of Trustees to develop current and long-term operating, facilities, and endowment budgets and models.
The school offers competitive compensation based on prior experience and position requirements. The school provides comprehensive benefits including: employee health care , short-term disability insurance, matching 401K contributions, and tuition remission.
Hilltop Montessori School is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates may apply by sending a resume, cover letter and list of references to: Tamara Mount (email@example.com) Head of School, Hilltop Montessori School