Tuition and Financial Aid
Tuition at Hilltop Montessori School is inclusive of all fees for all required activities. [There are optional programs of activities that may incur additional charges, such as Before-Care, After-care, pizza lunch, or special events.] There is a $500 tuition deposit required to enroll which is applied to the tuition and will be subtracted from the last tuition payment.
Financial contracts include selecting your payment option (monthly, quarterly, semi-annual or annual) and your method of payment (direct payment, scheduled credit card payments or check). Prorated tuition applies to students joining us during the school year.
Hilltop Montessori School is extremely committed to financial diversity.
At Hilltop Montessori School, we are always striving to increase all types of diversity within our student body, including economic. We recognize the sacrifices and prioritizing of education that many of our families need to do to make this educational experience and community available for their families. We also have several programs that we work with to coordinate and facilitate so families have financial help in meeting the tuition. About half of our families receive state, federal, or school tuition assistance. While half of our student families pay the full tuition, many of these families do get help from extended family members, often grandparents.
Hilltop Montessori School supports low- and moderate-income families through dedicated scholarships. We offer compassionate needs-based scholarships, accept childcare subsidy, and we are eligible to receive Act 62 funds from sending districts for 3- and 4-year-olds.
Our Before and After School Programs are STARS certified, licensed childcare programs and accept childcare subsidy for a portion or all of the cost of care.
Numbers and Percentages of Students Receiving Aid
Full Pay 64 49%
School Grant 45 34%
Staff Remission 12 9%
Vouchers 7 5%
Subsidy 3 2%
Total 131 100%
Full Pay are students whose families pay the full tuition without state or school assistance. Many of these families do get help from extended family members, often grandparents, to cover the tuition.
School Grants are provided to the families by the school based on need. We partner with School and Student Services / SSS by NAIS in our financial aid process. To begin your financial aid application you will complete SSS’s Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS). These families go through the SSS website and provide income, asset, and family expense information. Steps to apply for aid are described in the Financial Aid section below.
Staff Remission includes staff children who receive 50% off the tuition as a staff benefit.
Vouchers are for families who live in towns that do not have a local school, but give “vouchers” for their students to attend school. These are most often used at the Middle School level, where the voucher covers more than 80% of the tuition.
Subsidy refers to families who qualify through the state program for need-based aid for care at the toddler and pre-K ages. This subsidy can also be used for aftercare for elementary aged children. Families should contact Windham Child Care for more information.
These contributions to tuition do not include the Vermont state funding (ADM) which is a set amount that all pre-K children in Vermont receive for school. For WSESU the amount for academic year 2017 -18 is $3,178.00 for all children 3-4 years old, regardless of income.
Tuition Rates for academic year 2018-2019 by Program
|TODDLER PROGRAM 18 – 36 months|
|5 Half Days / M – F||8:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.||$9,250|
|5 Full Days / M – F||8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.||$14,900|
|CHILDREN’S HOUSE ages 3, 4 & Kindergarten|
|5 Half Days / ages 3 – 4
PreK Funding from the State of Vermont
|8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.||$9,250
|5 Full Days / ages 3 – 4
PreK Funding from the State of Vermont
|8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.||$14,900
|5 Full Days / Kindergarten||8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.||$14,900|
|Lower & Upper Elementary|
|Grades 1-3 and Grades 4 – 6||8:30 – 3:00 p.m.||$16,300|
|Grades 7 -8||8:30 – 3:00 p.m.||$18,500|
|Before and After School Care|
|Before CareEveryday 7:40 – 8:30 a.m. / Sept – June||Day Rate $10 per day
Drop-In Rate $15.00 per hour
|Flat Monthly Rate $150|
|After CareEveryday 3 – 5 / Sept – June||Day Rate $10 per hour||Flat Monthly Rate $250|
Hilltop maintains a strong financial aid program for those seeking tuition assistance. Hilltop is committed to further growing our socio-economically diverse student body. We are working to increase our endowment to further support our financial aid program.
Financial Aid Grants 2015-16 as distributed by Income Range
Grants are determined by the information provided to the SSS website. This information about income, assets and expenses for each family, results in a recommendation for aid. The school is often not able to grant the full amount recommended. The Financial Aid Committee uses the recommendations and ranking of need as a guideline to determine how to best distribute the available aid to the greatest advantage of the most families. In this past year, grants were given to the following number of families in each income range included below.
Many factors that are taken into account in making awards are not captured by just “Income Range”. Some of these important factors include: assets, number of dependents, additional financial obligations of the family, additional resources available to the family, etc.
The chart above does not include:
- families (3) who receive state subsidy to help with the tuition of their pre-K child (a family of four qualifies for from 10-100% of the subsidy available with income range equivalent of under $24K-$48K)
- the half-dozen families who receive a voucher which covers a majority of the school tuition
- the staff families who are greatly assisted by the Remission, but do not go through the regular financial aid process.
Applying for Financial Aid for the 2018-19 Academic Year
The completed Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS) forms must be submitted to SSS (School and Student Service for Financial Aid), along with your most recent tax documents and must be completed by January 15 for the coming academic year. Both parents need to complete the PFS online. Business/Farm Statement must be completed on line by owners of businesses/farms. Prospective families may apply after January 15 and grants awarded as funds are available.
- Beginning October 2017, go to https://sss.secure.force.com/familyportal.
- Create your PFS Online account with your email address and a password. If you applied for financial aid last year, simply login to the PFS Online as a Returning Family, using the email address and password you set up last year.
- Begin a PFS for Academic Year 2018-19. You can log out of the PFS Online at anytime, then return later to complete it.
- After you have pressed submit, you’ll be brought to a payment screen. The fee of $48 is nonrefundable. Once your PFS is submitted, it cannot be withdrawn form the SSS system.
- After you pay for and submit your PFS, you’ll have access in the PFS Online to a section called “My Documents.” You can upload the additional documents we required there. HOW TO SUBMIT ADDITIONAL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS ONLINE.
- Prepare your documents to be uploaded. Make sure the documents are on your computer, each saved as a separate file. Remove any security or password protection from you document files.
- Return to the PFS Online and login.
- Select the Academic Year 2018-19 button.
- From the PFS Online, click on the “My Documents” tab.
- On the “My Documents” page, you will see an upload button or a hyperlink next to a specific document name in the “Required Documents” section of the PFS. Clicking either the upload button or a hyperlink will lead you through a series of steps allowing you to name, locate and save the file.
- Once you have uploaded a document, the date will appear in the “Date Uploaded” column within minutes of the upload. Some tax documents go through a verification process. It can take up to 48 hours for the verification process to complete.
- This year the fee waiver program will be determined by your PFS
and SSS will automatically waive the application fees for the families most in need of financial help.
- Do not put questions marks (?), N/A, or comments like “none” in the blanks. If the answer is: “zero”, put in “0” rather than leaving the blank empty.
- It is important that the forms be completed as requested by the service.
- Our school code that must go on the forms is: 1435
- Hilltop Montessori School is the full name.
- Online applications must include the most recent tax documents along with the PFS to be considered. Take care to avoid errors – these could make your application late. Applications submitted after the deadline will be considered if funds are available after grants have been awarded.
- All forms and application materials must be sent directly to SSS by January 15, including tax documents, which can be sent electronically or by mail. Documents we require you to submit, in addition to the PFS:
____ 2015 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ
____ 2016 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ
____ 2015 W2 Form
____ 2016 W2 Form
____ 1099 Form
____ Forms 1065, 1120-S and k-1 schedules (if applicable)
____ Business /Farm Statement for self-employed parents, including a copy of Schedule C Profit and Loss as soon as it is available.
Call 800-344-8328. If you are calling from outside of the United States or Canada, dial 952-967-9922. The Customer Service Center offers assistance in English as well as Spanish.
Hours as of November 1: Monday-Friday: 9:00 am – 8:00 pm EST, Saturday: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm EST. You can also email support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The mailing address for submitting a paper PFS and for submitting required documents is: SSS By NAIS
P.O. Box 449
Randolph, MA 02368
For overnight mail, use this address:
SSS By NAIS Application Processing Center 437 Turnpike Street* Canton, MA 02021
(DO NOT SUBMIT THE PFS OR TAX DOCUMENTS TO THE SCHOOL)
Applications submitted after the deadline will be considered if funds are available.
- All information provided by you is kept confidential
- If you have any questions about how to complete the forms, please call the Help Line at SSS website
Financial aid awards are announced in mid-March.
- For returning students who have submitted a complete re-enrollment contract.
- For new students with their acceptance letters.